The Montgomery County Thanksgiving Parade is set for Saturday, November 18, in downtown Silver Spring, and residents and business owners are asked to plan accordingly because there will be several road closures and detours in the area. If you are planning to watch the parade, organizers strongly encourage you to take the Red Line to the Silver Spring Station.
As a security precaution, all the northbound and southbound lanes of Georgia Avenue will be closed between East-West Highway and Colesville Road from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the day of the parade.
Below, is a list of the roads that will be closed between 6 a.m. and 1 p.m., for the parade:
- Northbound and southbound lanes of Georgia Avenue between East-West Highway and Colesville Road
- Cedar Avenue between Colesville Road and Wayne Avenue
- Pershing Drive from Cedar Avenue to Veterans Place
- Veterans Place from Pershing Drive to Ellsworth Drive
- Ellsworth Drive from Georgia Avenue to Cedar Avenue
- Roeder Road from Fenton Street to Cedar Avenue
- Fenton Street from Colesville Road to Wayne Avenue
- Wayne Avenue from Georgia Avenue to Fenton Street
- Bonifant Street from Georgia Avenue to Fenton Street
- Thayer Avenue from Georgia Avenue to Fenton Street
- Silver Spring Avenue from Georgia Avenue to Fenton Street
The following streets and the Town Center Parking garage must be cleared of parked vehicles for units to line-up or pass beginning at 2 a.m. on Saturday, November 18:
- Cedar Avenue
- Pershing Drive
- Roeder Road
- Ellsworth Drive
- Georgia Avenue
- Veterans Place
If you have questions about these road closures or parking, call MC311 at 3-1-1. If you are telephoning from outside of Montgomery County, call 240-777-0311.
The Thanksgiving Parade officially begins at 10 a.m. and continues until noon. More than 130 units are expected to participate, including colorful floats and inflatables, marching bands, police, fire units, and more.
For more information about the Thanksgiving Parade, visit here.