Whether you leap from tall buildings (Don't), have superhuman strength (You don't) or are someone who never runs with scissors (Good job!), you will want to come to Montgomery County’s comic convention, MoComCon
. The event is open and accessible to comic conventioneers, novices, Jedi, superheroes, wizards, and even muggles. This is the third year for this annual event, which will be held from noon to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 19 at the Silver Spring library branch located at 900 Wayne Ave.
MoComCon will include a variety of workshops, programs, displays, exhibitors, and cosplay (costume play, dressing up as a character) opportunities – all free of charge. No weapons, including replica and costume pieces, will be allowed inside of the event.
Event highlights include:
- Superhero Storytimes starting at 10 a.m. and 10:45 a.m. This pre-event activity is geared for preschool age children;
- Instant 3D Prints (thermoforming) with FutureMakers;
- Writing and Publishing Sci-Fi and Fantasy with author Don Sakers;
- String quartet performance from Washington Metropolitan Gamer Symphony Orchestra, the community ensemble devoted to performing video game music in the Montgomery County area;
- Harry Potter themed Escape Room for 8-to 13-year-olds and 'Game of Thrones' themed Escape Room for ages 14 and older;
- Comic Publishing 101 with Chuck Sellner; and
- Cosplay contest with prizes for children, teens and adults.
More details about the event, including schedule, rules, and cosplay contest guidelines, is available at MoComCon website
Registration for escape rooms and cosplay contest begin at 11 a.m. on the day of the event at the Silver Spring branch.