Two Vietnam veterans will share their experiences in programs to be held at Montgomery County Public Libraries (MCPL) branches in November.
Entitled “Back to Vietnam” and “Reflections of an Army Nurse on Serving in Vietnam,” the programs are hosted by MCPL in partnership with the County’s Commission on Veterans Affairs.
“Back to Vietnam”
Presented by Mike Marceau, a Purple Heart recipient and vice president of the local chapter of Veterans for Peace. In April 2012, a group of U.S. military veterans returned to Vietnam for a "Peace and Reconciliation" tour to see the country and meet with groups who support victims of Agent Orange spraying.
Marceau will show and discuss a 45-minute film he made during that trip at the following libraries:
- November 13, 7:30 p.m. Bethesda, 7400 Arlington Rd. Call 240-777-0970, TTY 301-657-0840;
- November 26, 7:30 p.m. Rockville Memorial, 21 Maryland Ave. Call 240-777-0140, TTY 240-777-0902; and
- November 29, 7:30 p.m. Twinbrook, 202 Meadow Hall Dr., Rockville. Call 240-777-0240, TTY 240-777-0904.
“Reflections of an Army Nurse on Serving in Vietnam”
Presented by Jane McCarthy who served in the Army Nurse Corps at the 95th Evacuation Hospital in Da Nang, South Vietnam, in 1971 and in the Gulf War in 1991. A founding commissioner on the Montgomery County Veterans Commission, McCarthy is interested in helping returning soldiers from Iraq and Afghanistan with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) issues.
Her program, including commentary and a slide show, will include her experiences with PTSD. She will present programs at the following libraries:
- November 15, 4 p.m. Twinbrook, 202 Meadow Hall Dr., Rockville. Call 240-777-0240, TTY 240-777-0904; and
- November 16, 4 p.m. Rockville Memorial,, 21 Maryland Ave. Call 240-777-0140, TTY 240-777-0902.