December 22, 2016

Improperly Disposed Ashes Destroyed Residents Home; Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services Remind Residents to Follow Safety Guidelines When Disposing of Ashes



There is nothing quite like a warm fire in the fireplace to help keep warm when chilly outside temperatures have you shivering to the bone. As pretty as a cozy fire may look, things can turn ugly mighty quickly if you don’t take proper precautions with ashes.

On Tuesday, December 20 MCFRS responded to a fire started in a County resident's home. The fire started in the attached garage from ashes placed in an open pan with ash from a fire. This is the fourth fire that MCFRS has responded to this year that has started from ashes which residents believe had cooled. Fortunately, no one was physically hurt in the fire, however, the accident reportedly caused $700,000 in damages.

Each year, Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services (MCFRS) responds to fires that are caused by improper disposal of hot coals or ashes from fireplaces, wood stoves, pellet stoves, grills or outside fire rings designed for use on decks or patios. The truth is that coals and ashes from fires can remain hot for days after a fire is out. Treat all ashes and coals as HOT ashes, even when you think they have had enough time to cool. Your garage, house or deck are unsafe locations for ashes to cool and have been the site of many recent and devastating fires both locally and nationally.

MCFRS reminds resident to be safe and treat all ashes and coals as hot ashes, even when you think they have had enough time to cool. Your garage, house or deck are unsafe locations for ashes to cool. When messing with ashes, making a bad judgment call can become a deadly error.

Take time to review these important safety messages from MCFRS to keep you and your family safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for submitting comment to Paperless Airplane.