According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency the amount of U.S. household waste increases an average of 25 percent between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. Wrapping paper, decorations, packaging and leftover food (and sometimes even the gifts we buy), often don’t last long and end up in the waste stream.
Gift Outside the Box focuses on five themes that encourage thinking differently about how to buy gifts, as well as, how to wrap those gifts.
The themes are:
- Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle: Reduce waste by buying gifts made from recycled or reused materials — and minimize waste by buying recycled wrapping paper or skip the traditional wrapping.
- Gift Greener: Help the environment by thinking green in how you buy and what you buy.
- Give Back: Instead of a traditional gift, donate to charity or spend time with friends and family by volunteering together.
- Gift Experiences: From theater tickets to Montgomery Recreation classes and lessons, be inspired to give activities such as fun and bonding experiences.
- Buy Local: Support County businesses and purchase locally-made products.