Microcystin, a hepatotoxin, can cause harm to the liver of humans and pets if ingested. Of particular concern are dogs that are off-leash and may swim and/or drink from the lake, despite park regulations.
Montgomery Parks urges visitors to take the following precautions:
- Avoid direct contact with water while boating or fishing.
- Swimming is prohibited in lakes at all times.
- Keep dogs on leash (as is regularly required at the park) and do not allow them to drink or be in contact with the water.
- Wash hands thoroughly prior to eating, drinking, or smoking if coming in contact with the water.
- Only eat properly cooked muscle meat of fish that are caught in the lake.
For updates, or more information, visit the Montgomery Parks website.