County Executive Marc Elrich and partner agencies will help kick off the campaign on Friday, Nov.15, at an event from noon-3 p.m. at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore at 1029 East Gude Dr. in Rockville. Formal ceremonies for the launch are scheduled for 1 p.m. The date also is celebrated nationally as “America Recycles Day.”
Gift Outside the Box focuses on five areas where residents can learn ways to gift in a more environmentally responsible way.
- Buy local: Support County businesses and purchase locally made products. Look for the “MoCo Made” label.
- Gift experiences: No need for a box when the gift features event tickets, Montgomery Recreation classes, music lessons and time in nature and parks.
- Gift greener: New items still are the choice of many gift givers, but they are encouraged to think green, with gifts such as reusable water bottles or smart thermostats.
- Give back: Among the most appreciated gifts are donations to a local charity or setting aside time to spend with friends and family by volunteering together.
- Reduce, reuse and recycle: Reduce waste by buying gifts made from recycled or reused materials. For all gifts, minimize wrapping.