The Montgomery County Department of Transportation (MCDOT), in collaboration with the Washington Area Bicycle Association (WABA), is offering adult bike classes in May and June. The classes include a learn to ride and a basic skills class. MCDOT also will offer three remaining free scooter classes in spring.
Participants in the bicycle classes will learn how to start and stop, balance, glide, pedal and steer a bike. Each student will progress at their own pace. The classes will be led by experienced WABA instructors.
Advance registration is required to participate in the bicycle classes and the cost is $10 for Montgomery County residents. There is no charge for WABA or Capital Bikeshare for All members.
The classes are open to residents 18 and over, are limited to 25 people and fill up quickly.
Registration is currently open for all classes with available space.
The last remaining Adult Learn to Ride bike classes with limited space:
- Saturday, June 17. 10 a.m.-1 p.m. GEICO Chevy Chase Building, 5260 Western Avenue, Chevy Chase.
- Saturday, May 6. 10 a.m.-noon. Burtonsville Park and Ride Lot (behind Burtonsville Crossing Shopping Center), 15701 Columbia Pike, Burtonsville.
- Saturday, June 3. 10 a.m.-noon. Wheaton Ice Arena, (back parking lot), 11717 Orebaugh Drive, Wheaton.
The free two-hour adult scooter classes are offered on a drop-in basis:
- Saturday, May 13. 1 p.m. Montgomery College (parking lot 13), 850 Hungerford Drive, Rockville.
- Saturday, June 3. Noon. Wheaton Ice Arena, (back parking lot), 11717 Orebaugh Drive, Wheaton.
For more information and to register, visit MCDOT’s website at www.waba.org/classes or call 240-777-8380.
Classes are outdoor and will be canceled during inclement weather. For updates on class cancellations, visit tinyurl.com/cycleclss.