The nature centers operated by Montgomery Parks have an exciting and fun array of programs and activities in May, including the annual native plant sales, nature hikes to “parks unknown” and a waterfest.
The May nature center events schedule will include:
- Roots to Rock: Youth Mountain Bike Lessons. Through May 31. Various times and locations. The lessons will be led by two instructors with safety and fun in mind. All skill levels are welcome, but participants must know how to ride a bike (except for the “Learn to ride” sessions). Ages 6 and older. Registration required. Free.
- Saturday, May 27. 9-11 a.m. Burnt Mills East Special Park. (Learn to ride).
- Wednesday, May 31. 5-7 p.m. Martin Luther King, Jr. Recreational Park.
- Native Plant Sale. In Person. Saturday-Sunday, May 20– 21 (Locust Grove). Various times. Locust Grove Nature Center, 7777 Democracy Blvd., Bethesda. Beautify your backyard, help the environment and be a good neighbor to wildlife with native plants purchased at the Native Plant sales, which support nature programming at Montgomery Parks.
- Locust Grove Nature Center: Shop in person May 20 and 21, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. (ActiveMontgomery account required for online orders).
- Hike to Parks Unknown. Friday, May 19, and Friday, May 26. 10-11:30 a.m. (May 19); 1-2:30 p.m. (May 26). Various locations. Park naturalists will lead off-site hikes and provide an opportunity to know a new park. Includes a one-hour hike and social chat at the end. Mobile science station, Nature on Wheels will provide seating, water and bathroom access (via stairs). $10.
- Friday, May 26. Muddy Branch Stream Valley Unit, Quince Orchard Road, Travilah. (Ages 8 and older). Registration required.
- Waterfest. Saturday, May 20. 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Maydale Nature Classroom, 1638 Maydale Drive, Colesville. Make a splash and learn about our local watershed through crafts, games, activities and exhibitors. All ages. Free.
- Family Nature Art. Saturday, May 27. 10-11:30 a.m. Brookside Nature Center, 1400 Glenallan Ave., Wheaton. Join a park naturalist to collect natural items from Wheaton Regional Park and turn them into art. Ages 6 and older. Registration required. $7.
Go to Montgomery Parks event calendar to view a complete list of special events and programming and to learn how to sign up using ActiveMontgomery.