September 27, 2013

Police Officer Finds Some Gold in Ireland

Montgomery County Police Officer Sherif Almiggabber (4th District) returned from the World Police and Fire Games (WPFG), held in Belfast, Northern Ireland last month with two gold medals in Greco Roman and Freestyle wrestling.

In 2011, he participated in the games held in New York City where he earned two silver medals. But, taking home gold is nothing new for Almiggabber. L:ast year, he competed in the U.S. Police and Fire Championship in San Diego, CA and won two gold medals in the same events.

“It was a tough competition, but I’ve conditioned for two years to prepare for what I faced in the 2011 games,” said Almiggabber. “I’ve wrestled since I was a teenager, and I love the sport. Participating in competitions keeps me motivated to stay physically fit which is critical in police work.” Officer Almiggabber says he trains year round with running, boot camp and weight lifting. Leading up to a competition, he participates in wrestling drills

The World Police and Fire Games is a biennial athletic event consisting of a wide range of individual and team sports, open to active and retired law enforcement and fire service personnel throughout the world. This year’s games featured nearly 7,000 competitors across 56 sports at 41 venues, with 3,500 volunteers. The 2015 Games will be held in Fairfax, VA from June 26 – July 5.

“Recovery isn’t as easy as it was in my younger days, but if I’m healthy, I will not rule out competing in the 2015 games,” said Almiggabber.

Officer Almiggabber trained and traveled on his own time and covered all expenses involved with the trip.