Election day—Tuesday, Nov. 3—is less than two months away, and for those who have ordered mail-in ballots (it is not too late to do that), they will begin arriving in just a few weeks.
In Montgomery County, there will be only about 40 polling places open throughout the County on Election Day (usually there are 255 voting locations).
Some important election information:
- Voter registration is available until Tuesday, Oct. 13, and also at early voting centers and on Election Day. More information on how to register is available at Maryland Board of Elections website. Online registration is recommended if possible.
- There are three ways to vote: by mail, in-person early voting (Monday, Oct. 26, through Monday, Nov. 2) and in-person on Election Day (Tuesday, Nov. 3).
- Voting by mail is the best way to avoid lines and crowds. Apply for a ballot either with the application you should have received in the mail or online.
- If applying for a mail-in ballot, request a ballot in the mail—not through an email link (unless you have to).
- The email link/internet ballot requires two people to hand copy the results onto a ballot that can be scanned. That is a lot of work and will slow the final vote count.
- Check the status of your ballot application online.
- Paper ballots will begin to arrive in the mail in late September or at the beginning of October. They come with a postage pre-paid envelope to mail back.
- Vote by mail ballots must be postmarked on or before Election Day. Mail early or put your mail-in ballot in a voting drop box.
- Secure drop boxes will be located at all early voting sites beginning Oct. 1 and at all voting centers on Oct. 15. A list of all locations will be included with your ballot.
- When voting by mail, be sure to sign the affidavit printed on the envelope that holds the ballot. Do not sign the ballot.
- Early voting from Oct. 26 through Nov 2 will be available at 11 sites around the County. Hours will be 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. All voters can vote at any early center, regardless of where you live in the County.
- Election Day is Tuesday, Nov. 3, from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.