Much of the holiday season will be different this year, including gift giving. Montgomery County’s Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) and partners are encouraging people to gift greener this holiday season by supporting local businesses and reducing their carbon footprint with the annual “Gift Outside the Box” campaign.
- Buy Local: Help support County and State businesses by purchasing locally made products. Look for the “MoCo Made” label at Alcohol Beverage Services (ABS) or other retail stores.
- Gift Experiences: No need for a box when the gift features event tickets, Montgomery Recreation classes, music lessons and time in nature and at parks.
- Gift Greener: If you want to purchase brand new items, make sure that they encourage green living and, when possible, help people lower their utility bills. Consider LED lightbulbs, smart thermostats and reusable materials such as water bottles, metal straws and cloth napkins.
- Give Back: Among the most appreciated gifts are donations to local charities in the name of a family member or friend. Also, consider setting aside time to spend with friends and family by volunteering together.
- Reduce, Reuse and Recycle: Reduce waste by buying gifts made from recycled or reused materials, regift items not used from last year and recycle all paper (minimize wrapping all together by using reusable gift bags and cloth).
- Gift Experiences: Monday, Dec. 7, 4-5 p.m.
- Buy Local: Tuesday, Dec. 8, 5:30-7 p.m.
- Give Back and Give Thanks: Wednesday, Dec. 16, 5-6 p.m.