January 18, 2023

‘Photography Workshop: Getting to Know Your Camera’ with Photographer Andargé Asfaw to be Presented Online on Monday, Jan. 23

Photographers of entry and intermediate levels are likely to come away in the right frame of mind if they participate in the special online event “Photography Workshop: Getting to Know Your Camera” from 6-9 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 23. Photographer Andargé Asfaw will lead the free presentation from Silver Spring Town Center, Inc.

Participants will be introduced to the main camera features that control exposure and creative expression. Essential camera gear will be covered. Participants should make sure that your DSLR camera is fully charged before attending the workshop.

To register for the workshop, go to Meeting Registration - Zoom.

“There is a story behind every image that I capture,” Mr. Asfaw said. “When I look into the eyes of someone in one of my photographs, I am captivated by their presence. In my landscapes, I seek the wisdom of the past. Leaves, a cave, a pile of stones, all represent the soul of a place.”

He said the colors and mood of light are a constant source of inspiration.

“I translate my images into printed work using all different types of media, including fabric,” he said. “My background in alternative photographic processes, such as platinum, palladium and cyanotype, has expanded the way I look at photographs. I use various cameras in my work. A large format camera is irreplaceable.

Mr. Asfaw is a teacher of photography. He said studio lighting and field photography are his favorite subjects to teach.