A “Sunrise Stretch” at 6 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 23, and a course on “Beginning Birding” at 9 a.m. that morning are among the many special events featured throughout September by the nature centers of Montgomery Parks.
The September nature center special events will include:
- Etch and Sip Hard Cider Night. Friday, Sept. 22. 5-7 p.m. Meadowside Nature Center, 5100 Meadowside Lane, Rockville. Create a personalized nature-themed pint glass piece and afterward enjoy a splash of cider on the raptor deck with a naturalist-led raptor talk. Ages 21 and older. Registration required. $20.
- Autumnal Equinox: Sunrise Stretch at the Sycamore. Saturday, Sept. 23. 6-7 a.m. Locust Grove Nature Center, 7777 Democracy Blvd., Bethesda. Start fall and your day taking in the healing and calming effects of nature. Ages 18 and older. Registration required. $20.
- Beginning Birding for Everybody. Saturday, Sept. 23. 9-10 a.m. Brookside Nature Center, 1400 Glenallan Ave., Wheaton. Learn birding basics on a frustration-free “flat” bird practice trail. The wildlife pond boardwalk is accessible for all budding birders. Ages 18 and older. Registration required. $7.
- Nature Center Pop-Up. Sunday, Sept. 24. 1-4 p.m. Rock Creek Regional Park, 15700 Needwood Lake Circle, Rockville. Talk with a naturalist, explore natural objects, ask questions and try out some biology-themed activities. All ages. Registration recommended. Free.
- Trip to Mt. Cuba Center. Wednesday, Sept. 27. 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Leaves from Black Hill Nature Programs, 20926 Lake Ridge Drive, Boyds. Visit the Mt. Cuba Center near Wilmington, Del., home to more than 1,000 species of native plants, many of which are threatened by extinction. Registration required. $60 ($58 for Friends of Black Hill).
- The Scoop on Poop. Thursday, Sept. 28. 10:30-11:30 a.m. Maydale Nature Classroom, 1638 Maydale Drive, Colesville. Program is designed to teach young children and their caregivers about the wildlife and nature in their own backyards through activities, explorations, games, hikes and take-home crafts. Registration required. Ages 3–5. $6.
- Escapadas de Tortugas. Saturday, Sept. 30. 10:30 a.m.-noon. Brookside Nature Center, 1400 Glenallan Ave., Wheaton. Help find a lost turtle. Follow the clues and find her. A fun scavenger hunt at the nature center. Please note: this program is in Spanish. Ages 8 and older. Registration required. $5.