The celebration of the 41st Annual “Building Safety Month” by Montgomery County’s Department of Permitting Services (DPS) will feature a series of activities including free inspections of residential decks. The theme of this year’s worldwide safety campaign is “Prevent, Prepare, Protect. Building Codes Save.” Many of the events in this year’s celebration will be held virtually due to the COVID-19 health crisis.
DPS shares the worldwide emphasis that raising awareness of building codes helps ensure safety.
As some restrictions of the health crisis are easing and more residents are being vaccinated, Montgomery County is cautiously reopening. It is anticipated that future improving conditions will lead to social gatherings—including those on residential decks.
As part of Building Safety Month, DPS is offering free inspections of residential decks to help prevent any future deck collapses. Residents can call 311 (or 240-777-0311) to find out more information about the deck inspection program and to schedule an appointment.
“Permitting Services continues to strive to enhance and improve our customer experience,” said DPS Director Mitra Pedoeem. “These free deck inspections highlight how DPS works to keep our communities safe. The DPS Deck Maintenance Inspection Program continues to be a staple of the celebration of Building Safety Month. Last year, the program was recognized by National Association of Counties for providing deck inspections to prevent collapses during the pandemic. We hope many residents take advantage of this program to ensure that their families and guests will be safe.”
This year’s DPS Building Safety Month campaign themes are:
- May 1-9: Energy Innovation.
- May 10-16: Training the Next Generation.
- May 17-23: Water Safety.
- May 25-31: Disaster Preparedness.
- May 18, 9 a.m.: County Executive Marc Elrich will join the County Council for presentation of a joint proclamation for Building Safety Month. View on County Cable Montgomery (CCM) at https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/CCM/councilsessions.html.
- DPS Career Pathways Panels: DPS Staff will talk about career paths in DPS including Inspectors, Plan Reviewers, and Management in all areas of building including Environmental, Architects, IT, Finance and more. Check the DPS Calendar for more information: https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/dps/calendar.html
- DPS Encore Presentation of Solar Pathways will be on demand at https://register.gotowebinar.com/recording/6074915403940211723
- DPS Encore Presentation will be on demand for the Sediment Control Permitting at https://register.gotowebinar.com/recording/8180592324234152711.
- DPS Educational Series: Accessory Dwelling Units on May 27, 10 a.m., at https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/4348831685877427215
- Sign up for Constructive Comments to stay current on codes and the DPS Educational Series at http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/govdelivery
Learn about more events on the DPS calendar at https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/dps/calendar.html.