“Wheaton is a fabulous place to shop for your local, artisan holiday presents throughout December,” said Luisa Cardona, director of Montgomery County’s Mid-County Regional Services Center. “You can find really unique crafts and gifts, have lunch at one of our multi-cultural restaurants and then take the family out for a fun holiday event.”
The winter schedule of events in the Wheaton area will include:
- Frozen The Musical. Saturday, Dec. 11. Performances at 12:30 and 2 p.m. Westfield Wheaton. Come sing-along with Anna, Elsa, Olaf and Hans, take selfies with the characters and take home a surprise keepsake while supplies last. Limited space is available. Free, but tickets are required.
- Join Lina Tembo as she talks food and culture with local food artisans at Chop Talk: Holiday Edition. Saturday, Dec. 11. 7:30 p.m. FAS Marketplace.
- Garden of Lights at Brookside Gardens. Every night through Jan. 2, except Dec. 24-25. Brookside Gardens will be transformed into a magical winter wonderland for the 23rd year of Garden of Lights. Walk through the outdoor twinkling lights and glimmering displays that dot the paths and flowerbeds. More than one million dazzling and colorful LED lights are handwoven into original works depicting animals, flowers and other natural elements. Advanced tickets are required.
- A Visit with Santa for children. Through Dec. 24, noon-7 p m. daily. Westfield Wheaton. In partnership with Autism Speaks, the shopping center will offer Sensory Santa visits with limited stimulation from 9:30-10:30 a.m. on Dec. 5 and 12.
- FAS Marketplace will host The Artist Vibe with host Tinesi Minikon for performances by new and upcoming visual artists, performing artists, door prizes, and an evening of fun on Friday, Dec. 17, 7:30 p.m.
- Hixters Holiday Concert. Saturday, Dec. 18, noon-1 p.m. Westfield Wheaton. The performance will feature holiday classics by a string quartet.
- Candy Cane with a Cop. Friday, Dec. 17. 1-2 p.m. Westfield Wheaton. Montgomery County Police Department will be part of the event. Play area will also feature story time, snacks, crafts and more.
- Holiday Dance recital. Presented by Wheaton Studio of Dance. Saturday, Dec. 18. Noon. Westfield Wheaton. The Wheaton Studio of Dance, founded by Joni Reese, is in its 63rd year under artistic director and owner Shannon Rush-Locke.
- Wheaton Arts Parade Gallery in Westfield Wheaton will exhibit a new show entitled “Celebration.” Exhibit will be open through Jan. 23. The exhibit features artwork by 25 local artists, displaying their impressions of the winter season. Free admission.
For those interested in giving, Montgomery Housing Partnership, Wheaton Volunteer Rescue Squad, and the Wheaton & Kensington Chamber of Commerce are sponsoring their 23rd annual Angels for Children 2021 Toy Drive.
For more information on the Wheaton Arts & Entertainment District, Wheaton Urban District or the surrounding area, visit Wheatonmd.org.
More information about the events is available at wheatonmd.org or by calling 311.