“Magic and Fantasy” will be celebrated as part of a special weekend of events hosted by Gaithersburg’s Arts on the Green May 13-15 at the Gaithersburg Arts Barn. A magician will challenge perceptions of reality, attendees can join the quest for the One Ring and should beware of Fluffy guarding the Philosopher’s Stone. The event will feature magician Adam Stone, kid-friendly music by Milkshake and showings of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and Harry Potter and the Sorcerers’ Stone with costume and trivia contests.
The Arts Barn is located at 311 Kent Square Rd. in Gaithersburg. There are charges for the events that are part of the Magic and Fantasy weekend.
The schedule of events for the weekend:
- Adam Stone, Magician. Friday, May 13, 8 p.m. Comedy, magic and mentalism collide to create a tour de force of elegant deceptions and spell-binding entertainment. Recommended for ages 15 and up. Tickets $22, $20 for students (ages 15-21). Purchase tickets here.
- Milkshake. Saturday, May 14, 1 p.m. Milkshake has been making original kid-friendly music since 2002. It has released five award-winning CDs, a DVD, a comic book featuring the band as cartoon characters and music videos for PBS Kids, Nick Jr. and the ToddWorld cartoon. Its Great Day release received a Grammy nomination for Best Musical Recording for Children. Join Lisa Mathews and Mikel Gehl as they get everyone caught up in the magic of music and fun. Suitable for ages 3-7. Tickets $5 in advance, $8 at the door. Purchase tickets here.
- Film Exhibition: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. PG-13 – Parents strongly cautioned. Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13. Saturday, May 14, 7 p.m. A costume contest (dress as your favorite wizard, hobbit, orc or elf) and a trivia contest (who were Lúthien and Beren?) will be held prior to the film screening. Winners will receive small prizes and have a chance to show off their costuming skills and knowledge of Middle Earth. The Noble Blades will hold a weapons "Show and Tell" in the lobby and a stage combat demonstration. Recommended for ages 15-and-over. Tickets $12 in advance, $15 at door. Purchase tickets here.
- Defense of the Dark Arts Workshop (Full). Sunday, May 15, 1 p.m. Potions, and wands and magic. Children and their families will tap into their creativity as they design and paint potion bottles and wands. Materials provided. Tickets $5 per child (adult/guardian enters free).Register here.
- Film Exhibition: Harry Potter and the Sorcerers’ Stone. PG – Parental guidance suggested. Some material may not be suitable for children. Join the celebration of the 20th anniversary of the original phenomenon. Trivia and costume contest will be held at 1:30 p.m. Anyone in costume receives a raffle ticket for one of three prizes. Sunday, May 15. Trivia and Costume Contest at 1:30 p.m. Film Screening at 2 p.m. Tickets: $5 in advance, $8 at door. Purchase tickets here.
Arts on the Green programming is funded in part by a grant from the Maryland State Arts Council (MSAC). To discover more about MSAC grants and how they impact Maryland's arts sector, visit www.msac.org.