Events and special programs for residents of all interests and ages will be available throughout November from Montgomery Parks. The events will include evening campfires for families, which include outdoor movies, and adult-only campfires.
The schedule of Montgomery Parks events for November includes:
- Evening Embers Campfire Nights – Multiple Days/Locations. Embrace the cold-weather season and cozy up in a comfy Adirondack chair around the warm embers of a campfire. Each campfire ring rental seats up to six people. Advanced registration is required. The charge is $35 per campfire ring rental.
- Adult Night: Includes free s’mores kits for each guest. Western Grove Urban Park. Tuesday, Nov. 9. 6-8 p.m.
- Family Nights: Include an outdoor movie,
- Saturday, Nov. 6. Cloverly Local Park. 4:30-7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, Nov. 13. Aberdeen Local Park. 4:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Maryland Emancipation Days – Multiple Days/Locations. On Nov. 1, 1864, Maryland adopted a new constitution that abolished slavery in the state. These special programs commemorate this important day in history.
- Maryland Emancipation Day at Oakley Cabin. Saturday, Nov. 6. Enjoy live blues music with Brian Cunningham Project, guided tours, living history and cooking demonstrations, hands-on archaeology activities and old-fashioned games at Oakley Cabin African American Museum and Park. Free. No registration is required.
- Josiah Henson Museum Free Admission Day. Saturday, Nov. 6. Explore the newly opened Josiah Henson Museum and Park and take a free self- guided tour between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Free. No registration is required.
- Maryland Emancipation Day Hike. Saturday, Nov. 6. Join a guided hike along the Underground Railroad Experience Trail at Woodlawn Cultural Park. Free admission to Woodlawn Museum included. Hikes last approximately 2.5 hours. Intended for ages 7 and up. $8 per person. Registration required.
- Maydale Nature Classroom Community Celebration. Saturday, Nov. 6. A day of celebration for Maydale Nature Classroom highlights the new classroom and upgraded facilities. The free family-friendly event will include fall crafts, creek critter show-and-tell, and s’mores. Free, no registration required.
- Winter Craft and Sip. Tuesday, Nov. 16. Enjoy a cozy evening indoors at the Meadowbrook Local Park Activity Building creating a festive personalized ribbon wreath. Reservations include all craft materials and instructions, assorted desserts and a glass of wine for each participant. All participants must be 21 years or older. $60 per table, Reservations required.
- Garden of Lights at Brookside Gardens. Opens Friday, Nov. 19. For the 23rd year, Brookside Gardens will transform into a magical winter wonderland. Enjoy glimmering displays of more than one million LED lights and stroll through the 50 acres in Wheaton. $10 per person. Advanced tickets are required.
- Gobbler Fun Run and Walk. Saturday, Nov. 20. Make room for your Thanksgiving feast by burning off some pre-holiday calories on the three-mile loop at Wheaton Regional Park. Shepherd’s Table will have a table onsite to collect donations of nonperishable food items for those in need this holiday season. Free, registration recommended, but not required.