The holiday season kicks off with the free Montgomery County Thanksgiving Parade on Saturday, Nov. 20, from 10 a.m. to noon on Ellsworth Drive and Georgia Avenue. The parade starts with harvest-and Thanksgiving-themed inflatables and units, continues through Hanukkah and finishes with an appearance by Santa Claus. There are reverberating drums of marching bands, trained animals, dance performances and glittering costumes. Attendees are encouraged to wear masks and socially distance.
Upcoming events in Silver Spring include activities from the more than 100 arts and humanities organizations, popular arts venues, attractions and entertainment businesses in the Arts and Entertainment District. Reservations or tickets are required for many of these events.
- Ceramic Holiday Ornament Making Workshop at Create Arts Center begins on Wednesday, Dec. 1, from 7 to 9 p.m. Join ceramist Shelley Sarrin for a two-day workshop to create beautiful and personalized ceramic ornaments to give as gifts, display for the holidays or to hang year round.
- Wreath Making Workshop in Downtown Silver Spring on Saturday, Dec. 4, from 1-2 p.m. The Blue Ribbon Floral Flower Truck shows participants how to create custom wreaths to welcome in the holiday season. All supplies will be provided and participants will be able to take their wreath at the end of the event.
- Silver Spring Christmas Market and Holiday Craft Fair will occur on Veterans Plaza on Sunday, Dec. 5, from noon to 4 p.m.
- Maryland Youth Ballet is presenting The Mini-Nut, an abbreviated version of The Nutcracker, at the Montgomery College Cultural Arts Center on Saturday, Dec. 11, and Sunday, Dec. 12, at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. The Mini-Nut, a one-hour version with no intermission, is a wonderful introduction to ballet for families with young children.
- The Akhmedova Ballet Academy is presenting a bold remastering of Nutcracker this holiday season in a special production of “Equal-Rights Night” presented at Montgomery College’s Cultural Arts Center in Silver Spring at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 18.
- Saturday, Nov. 20, 1:30 p.m.: Powerhouse Brass Quintet
- Saturday, Nov. 27: Noon: Montgomery Symphony Orchestra Chamber Players. 1:30 p.m.: Clarksburg HS Chamber Singers
- Saturday, Dec. 4. 3 p.m.: Drop the Mic Acapella
- Saturday, Dec. 11: Noon: Powerhouse Brass Quintet; 3 p.m.: Six Degrees Singers
- Saturday, Dec. 18: Noon: Montgomery Blair’s InToneNation; 1:30 p.m.: Banneker Middle School Concert Choir; 3 p.m.: Drop the Mic
- The Cheer Station by The Eleanor. Cozy cocktails or spiked hot cider from noon to 6 p.m. from Nov. 20-Dec. 18.
- Lumina Theater will be holding a holiday canned food drive at their performances of Charles Dickens's Oliver Twist at 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 10, and at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 11, at the Silver Spring Black Box Theatre. The food drive will support Tommy's Pantry and the Capital Area Foodbank.
- The Majestic Theater is showing holiday movie favorite’s Polar Express on Saturday, Nov. 27, Gremlins on Saturday, Dec. 4, Elf on Saturday, Dec. 11, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation on Saturday, Dec. 18, and the Metropolitan Opera’s The Magic Flute Holiday Encore on Saturday, Dec. 11.
For more information on Silver Spring events, visit the Silver Spring website.