Montgomery Parks will host a full month of special events in June that celebrate Father’s Day, Juneteenth, Pride Month and highlight the County’s outstanding parks.
Special events in June will include:
- Skate Nights. Fridays June 17, and 24. Various locations. Perfect your tricks at Skate Night. Event times for all dates are 6-8 p.m. Food will be available for purchase at each event. Open to skaters of all abilities. Free.
- June 17. Woodside Urban Park. Will feature popular local skaters Shreddie Mercury and Pia Sacluso. Food will be provided by Traditional Authentic Mexican Food Truck.
- June 24. Takoma-Piney Branch Local Park. Will feature popular local skaters Shreddie Mercury and Amanda Finn. Food will be provided by Steeze Burger.
- Parks Playhouse Jr. June 17 and 23. Ages 3 and up. Free. Various locations. Performances will include:
- Friday, June 17. Wheaton Local Park, featuring The New Orchestra of Washington Music Workshop.
- Thursday, June 23. South Germantown Recreational Park, featuring Silly Goose Goes Green with ventriloquism, music, and dancing
- Josiah Henson Birthday Celebration. Saturday, June 18. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Josiah Henson Museum and Park in Bethesda. Celebrate the life of Reverend Josiah Henson and Juneteenth weekend with free museum admission, hands-on activities and refreshments.
- Woodlawn Manor Cultural Park Juneteenth Weekend. Saturday, June 18, and Sunday, June 19. Woodlawn Manor Cultural Park. Celebrate Juneteenth, a commemoration of the emancipation of enslaved people in the United States, at Woodlawn Manor Cultural Park. Take advantage of free museum admission all weekend. Free children’s take-home activities will be available at the Visitor Center on Saturday and Sunday. Visitors can enjoy a StoryWalk(R) of the inspiring book Before She Was Harriet, about young Harriet Tubman. The StoryWalk(R) is presented in partnership with the Noyes Children’s Library Foundation.
- On Saturday, June 18, the guided Underground Railroad Experience Trail Hike will be offered at 10 a.m. The 90-minute hike covers approximately two miles of natural surface wooded trails. Ages 7 and up. Fee $8 per person. Registration required. (Limited same-day tickets sold at the Visitor Center.)
- Father’s Day Skate. Sunday, June 19. Cabin John Ice Rink and Wheaton Ice Arena. Father’s Day fun outing. Dads skate free with one paid admission.
- Father’s Day Skate at Cabin John Ice Rink. Sunday, June 19. 12:30-2 p.m.
- Father’s Day Skate at Wheaton Ice Arena. Sunday, June 19. 1:30-3 p.m.
- Yappy Hour. Thursday, June 23. Elm Street Urban Park. 6-8 p.m. Come to Yappy Hour with your pup and share some drinks and pork BBQ (available for purchase). Live music with Jay Bird. Free.
- Pride in the Park Movie Night. Friday, June 24. 7 p.m. Free. Movie will begin at sundown. Jesup Blair Local Park. Join Montgomery Parks and the Montgomery County HIV/STI Testing Services for this special screening of Saturday Church on the lawn of Jesup Blair Local Park. Saturday Church takes the viewer through the story of young, 14-year-old Ulysses, a boy who is struggling with his gender identity and faith. Ulysses uses music and fantasy to navigate his life in the inner city, meeting many new friends along the way that help him discover his freedom of expression and passions.
Visit the Summer 2022 Montgomery Parks Program Guide or the Montgomery Parks event calendar to view a complete list of special events and programming and to learn how to sign up using ActiveMontgomery.