The Montgomery County Public Libraries’ (MCPL) Summer Reading Challenge has started. This year’s theme is “Oceans of Possibilities.” Children and teens are invited to sign up online or in-person at any branch. The reading challenge will continue through Aug. 31.
MCPL’s Summer Reading Challenge offers children and teens a chance to fill their summer with great books and fun learning activities, as well as in-person and virtual events. This year, MCPL and the Chesapeake Bay Foundation are greening up summer reading by keeping plastic out of the waste stream. As children read and complete missions, MCPL will help plant trees, restore oyster beds and improve animal habitats throughout the Chesapeake Bay watershed.
An indoor-outdoor Kick-off event will be held from 10:30 a.m.-noon on Saturday, June 18, at the Rockville Memorial Library. The event will include:
- A Chesapeake Bay Foundation hands-on educational table
- Strolling magician Abracadabra Alex
- Summer Reading Challenge signups and book giveaways
- Craft tables
- Sign up (or log in) online.
- Read books and do activities to earn online badges and complete missions.
- Optional: Print an Early Literacy or Elementary School Age game board at home or pick one up at your local library.
- Take the survey (English or Spanish) when finished the program.
For more information about the program, visit www.montgomerycountymd.gov/library.