Thursday nights are alive with music this summer in Downtown Silver Spring as the free “Silver Spring Thursday Night Concerts” series continues on Veterans Plaza. Concert series are scheduled for 7-9 p.m. each Thursday evening through Aug. 11. The next performance, on July 7, will feature Baltimore-based rockabilly artist Josh Christina.
Veterans Plaza is located at 1 Veterans Place, adjacent to the Silver Spring Civic Building. The outdoor series has eight concerts scheduled.
Attendees can bring chairs, but they do not have to do that. Food and drinks are available from the many nearby downtown eateries. No alcohol is permitted on the plaza.
Josh Christina, a Baltimore native, is a throwback phenomenon is leading a rock n’ roll revival that has been praised by some of the genre’s founding members.
In 2015, Christina caught the ear of famed producer Kent Wells (Dolly Parton), and his sophomore project Good Old Love—featuring the radio charting single “Kayla Ann”—served as his official introduction to Nashville.
Following the release, Josh Christina toured overseas and made his international television debut on Ireland's Late Late Show.
The lineup for the Thursday night concert series:
- July 7: Josh Christina, Rockabilly. Baltimore-based rockabilly artist Josh Christina inherited his musical chops from his father (a drummer), his mother (Baltimore-area singer Patti Christina) and his grandmother, who was a big band singer in the 1940s and '50s. Josh spent the past 15 years honing his sound—a combination of the country, classic rock, big band and rockabilly.
- July 14: Ocho de Bastos, Latin Pop. Ocho de Bastos (Eight of Clubs) blends powerful drums, Latin percussion and catchy brass riffs with a unique guitar sound.
- July 21: Guys in Thin Ties, ‘80s Alternative. The alternative ‘80s band plays your favorite, hard-driving tunes from the era of MTV and rad music videos.
- July 28: Route 66, Classic Rock and Country. Route 66, also known as Club 66, plays everything from rock and roll, classic rock, blues, Motown, boogie woogie and old school country.
- Aug. 4: Elliot Levine, R&B and Funk. The R&B and funk pianist has toured with Wilson Pickett, Heatwave and Brian McKnight.
- Aug. 11: Gary and the Groove, Rock and Roll. Their rock and roll music covers all decades from the 1950s to the ‘90s—and even some hits from today.