Native plants and pollinators will be among the highlights of the September nature programs at parks across Montgomery County offered by Montgomery Parks, which is part of The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
The September program schedule includes:
- Monarch Fiesta Month. Black Hill Regional Park. Multiple dates: September is all about monarch butterflies among the Black Hill Nature Programs. Special monarch-themed programs will be offered throughout the month. See a monarch butterfly up close or go on an insect hunt. Registration is required for all attending.
- Pawpaw and Pollinators Festival. Multiple locations. Multiple dates: Throughout the month, Montgomery Parks’ nature centers are celebrating the unique pawpaw tree and pollinators through in-person and online programs. See honeybees up close at the Brookside Nature Center bee yard or shop for local honey.
- Fall Native Plant Sales. Multiple locations. Multiple dates: Growing native plants encourages beneficial insects, birds and other wildlife. Support your backyard ecosystem and Montgomery Parks’ nature centers at its fall plant sales. Locust Grove Nature Center offers two shopping options. View a list of available plants online and shop in-person on Sept.18 and 19 from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Maydale Nature Classroom will host an online-only sale through Sept. 15.
- Nature Virtual Lectures: The Story of Native Trees. Virtual program. Tuesday, Sept.14: Join a fun and fascinating look at native trees and shrubs. Learn about their lives, their folklore and how they are connected to wildlife. The online program takes place on the Microsoft Teams Platform. The link to the program will be emailed to participants the day before the program. Register.
- Children’s Day(s). | Brookside Gardens. Sept. 18 or 19: The annual Children’s Day is being offered as a registration-only event this year. Children and families can choose one of four sessions in which to participate. During each session, small groups will rotate through four outdoor stations featuring fun garden activities, artful crafts, kids’ yoga and more. Registration is required.