Montgomery County Public Libraries (MCPL) on Monday, Oct. 4, will transition to Aspen Discovery, a library catalog providing customers with a new suite of features and a better online experience. In the days leading up to the transition, some library services will be limited or disrupted.
Operational changes needed for transition will require the following disruptions from the evening of Friday, Oct. 1, until the morning of Monday, Oct. 4:
- The catalog search functionality will be limited or unavailable.
- Online library card applications will be unavailable.
- Online resources, including databases and e-books, will experience disruptions.
- Customers will be unable to place holds or renew items checked out to their accounts.
All customers’ current account information (checkouts, holds, fines, address and phone, etc.) will be available on the new system. Individuals’ library barcodes and personal identification numbers will remain the same.
With Aspen Discovery, customers will be able to:
- Access the public catalog via any mobile device.
- Search E-book and print collections simultaneously.
- Easily browse all formats (print, e-book, audio book etc.) of a title within one search result.
- Receive suggestions for other related titles to check out while waiting for a hold to be Filled.
- Review current checkouts, renew materials and place holds online for physical and electronic materials.
- Manage privacy settings for reading and search history.
- View and pay fees online.
- Save search alerts for arrival of new materials.
- Select and change notification preferences (text, email).
- Add star ratings to titles.
- Make purchase suggestions online
- Create, manage and share lists of favorite books.
- Seamless integration of news, events and other communication.